This course teaches students how to carefully read Scripture in the biblical context, and to dig deeper into the Word of God so they will be able to understand the Bible correctly and apply its meaning to their lives and ministries.
The aim of this course is to develop a working knowledge of the basic skills of biblical interpretation.
Students will be introduced to the various skills needed to work with the different types of literature, or genre, found in the Bible as well as matters of context and content. The goal of this course is to help students to become skilled, life-long exegetes of God’s Word.
1.To strengthen the student’s faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and in the authority, sufficiency, and trustworthiness of the Holy Scriptures.
2. To equip the student with the essential tools for the proper and faithful interpretation and application of the Word of God.
3. To assist the student in gaining a fundamental knowledge of and appreciation for the various literary genres found in the Scriptures and the unique rules of interpretation and application that govern each.
4. To encourage and train the student in the effective communication of the Biblical
A. Technical Requirements
• Download and install a browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer. We suggest Firefox or Google Chrome.
• The E-learning system performs better with Firefox or Google Chrome browsers.
B. Academic Requirements
• Lessons (15%): Complete the weekly lessons
• Assignments (35%): Complete the weekly Assignments. Assignments are based on weekly reading assignments.
• Final exam (25%).
• Term paper (25%):Each student is required to write a 5-7 pages Exegetical paper. See Appendix 2 of textbook for guidelines on writing an Exegetical Paper
C. Grading Scale
A = 94-100 Excellent
B = 84 – 93 Above Average
C = 74 – 83 Average
D = 64 – 73 Below Average
F = 63 & Below Failure
Duvall, J. Scott, and J. Daniel Hays. 2012. Grasping God’s word workbook: a hands-on approach to reading, interpreting, and applying the Bible / J. Scott Duvall, J. Daniel Hays. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.