This course will provide the student with an overview of the theology, theory, and practice of a church-planting ministry. Special attention will be given to a model of evangelism for church planting, to the Pauline cycle, and to contemporary models of church planting.
Church planting principles and practices studied with the goal of equipping those who have heard the call to start new churches.
Upon course completion, the student should be able to grasp the following:
- Biblical foundations of church planting
- Key components in the church planting process
- The essentials qualities and characteristics of an effective church planter that accounts for spiritual formation and spiritual warfare.
- How to begin developing an effective vision, values, and support network for church planting
A. Technical RequirementsDownload and install a browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer. We suggest Firefox or Google Chrome. The E-learning system performs better with Firefox or Google Chrome browsers.
B. Academic Requirements
Lessons : Complete the weekly lessons
Develop a New Church Proposal – a strategic plan for starting a new church – that includes:
- A Mission Statement for a new church.
- A description of a focus group or community.
- A description of a launch team including specific ministries necessary for launch.
- A general plan and timeline leading up to a church plant launch.
- A Discipleship Pathway including key ministries needed to start a new church.
- An estimated budget for a starting a new churchshould include a good summary of the assigned readings as well as personal concluding thoughts or lessons learned.
A = 94-100 Excellent
B = 84 – 93 Above Average
C = 74 – 83 Average
D = 64 – 73 Below Average
F = 63 & Below Failure
Malphurs, A. (2004). Planting growing churches for the 21st century: A comprehensive guide for new churches and those desiring renewal. Grand Rapids, Mich: Baker Books.
Lesson 1 – Introduction to Church Planting
Lesson 2 – Church Planting in the Ministry of Jesus
Lesson 3 – Church Planting in the Ministry of Paul
Lesson 4 – Church Planting Today
Lesson 5-6 – The Call to Church Planting
Lesson 7 – The Preparation of the Church Planter
Lesson 8 – Preparation for Church Planting
Lesson 9 – The Sending Process
Lesson 10 – Planting Seed Churches
Lesson 11-12 Getting Started
Lesson 13 – The Opening Service
Lesson 14 – Assimilation and Follow-up Issues
Lesson 15 – Building Important Relationships
Lesson 16 – Apostolic Covering
Lesson 17 – Utilizing Other Ministries
Lesson 18 – Gaining Respect as a Pastor
Lesson 19-20 – Common Mistakes Pastors Make
Lesson 21-22 – Raising Up Likeminded Leaders
Lesson 23 – Children’s Ministry
Lesson 24 – The Testimony of a Church Planter